Sunday 25 April 2010

Weclome to the Plank Factory

Nothing much to report today, but needed a break from deck planking so thought I would give a quick tour of the plank factory.

Without further ado, here it is:


Some imortant features to note:

  • The odd black shape in the middle is my new toy...an Amati Master Cutter. It's not the most amazing piece of kit out there but it doing a job for me at the moment. Basically it makes accurate right angle cuts for the ends of my planks which has made things a bit quicker/more accurate.
  • The three piles of timbers at the top are the three stages in the assembly line. From right to left, 1 - timbers roughly measured and cut; 2 - Timbers after they have been carefully sanded to the exact length against the test plank; 3 - caulked and completed planks.
  • The much needed "chips and dips" that keep me fueled and ready to go for more planking!
  • Things have been coming along very well today and plank production has increased dramatically. I've made and fitted another 8 (bringing the total on the ship to 62) and I have another 24 ready to go. There is also another 16 in the assembly line.
By my calculations if I do another 32 planks today then I'll have enough to finish the main chunk of the deck and then I can move onto the trickier edges.

Well, best get back to it!

Jonny.

No comments:

Post a Comment